To be efficient in your internship you need to track your applications.
Why keep a Tracking Spreadsheet?
1- This way you will not lose track of the internship you are applying for. If a host organisation rings you and you confuse him/her with another host organisation, this may not be a good look.
2- You will have the recommended dates to follow up.
3- You have a record of the means of communication you used.
4- You have a record of the contact details of the companies.
5- You will have a link to the resume you have sent. When you modify your resume by highlighting your matches to the position you might end up with many versions of your resume. This way you can keep track of which version you have provided.
6- Good way of tracking feedback and comments in order to improve in Future application processes and Interviews
What to include?
- Potential Host organisation or Recruiter: Name of the Organisation or the Recruiter advertising the vacancy.
- Intern Position Title: The title of the vacancy you are applying for.
- Contact Person: Person in charge of the position and/or your point of contact at that company.
- Summary: Includes all actions related and their dates.
- Follow-up Date: a Date for any future action.
Remember to enjoy the process 🙂
Article by: Miqdad Hassan, CareerDC Managing Director