You want to do your internship in Australia but you are still hesitating between Melbourne and Sydney ? Don’t worry that’s the case for most students. These two cities, rival since their creation, has both advantages and drawbacks.The goal of this article is to help you choose between them.
MELBOURNE : “The world’s most liveable cities” According to The Economist (2011)
- Culture: If you have a particular interest in Art or Fashion, Melbourne is the perfect destination ! With more than ten festivals every year and a european atmosphere, Melbourne is without any doubts one of the most inspiring places on the continent.
- Budget: Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney. For instance, you only need in average $300 AUD weekly for an accommodation in Melbourne against $450 AUD in Sydney (According to the annual demographic survey on real-estate prices in the world).
- Transports: Melbourne is a real paradise for bikers and inner-city transports are not expensive. (Melbourne’s trains are in average twice cheaper than in Sydney)
- Nightlife: Many live concerts and shows are organised in Melbourne every day and 3 of its Bars are standing in the international ranking of the best bars in the world:
- Der Raum
- 1806 at number
- Bond Lounge Bar
SYDNEY : “Best city in the world” According to Conde Nast (2011)
- Sport: Surf, jogging, Yoga, Pilates ? The atmosphere in Sydney is “Chill & Sporty”.
- Weather: One of the only places in the world in which people are wearing flip-flops during winter. In fact, Sydney has twice as much sunlight than Melbourne and the temperature is in average 3 degrees higher.
- Travels: Sydney’s location is the best one to travel to Asia or to the rest of Australia.
- Economy: Sydney is Australia’s economic heartland. Its CBD is one of the most impressive in the world.
Roxane Jauer & Deborah Sennick