Once we have arranged an interview between you and the company we will send you an ‘Interview confirmation email’ which will link you with the company as well as your interviewer. You should reply to this email in order to confirm you will be attending the interview.
Here are a few hints & tips to do your best in the interview:
Before the Interview:
– Review the company’s website in order to research what they do, their values and missions, what projects they have worked on and get familiar with the organization you may be undertaking your internship with.
– It is also important to go over your resume and think about the skills you have which may benefit the company, how you can apply your technical knowledge to the work provided by the organization. You know yourself best but how will you show your interview that you will provide value to the company and that you are excited about the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in the career/industry you have studied.
– Plan your travels in order to get to the interview on time. The best thing would be to go there a couple days before your interview so that you know where it is and how long it may take as transport may not always be reliable, or if you are driving you can find convenient parking.
On the day of the interview:
– Be professional by dressing for the occasion which usually calls for a suit, as well as being presentable with tidy hair, not too much make up or jewelry.
– Bring a copy of your resume along with any internship documentation such as your insurance or any other documents the host organization may need to sign. Although they may not ask for this it is good to show that you are prepared and organized. You may also choose to bring your Academic Transcript to show the subjects you have studied as well as your results.
– Arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled interview time in order to find the office and show that you are punctual. This also gives you some time to sit down and prepare yourself rather than rushing straight into the interview and losing focus. Know the person who will be interviewing you and ask for them at reception (this information is in the ‘Interview confirmation email’). When they call for you introduce yourself with a firm handshake and remember that a smile goes a long way.
– During the interview, in addition to answering the interviewers questions make sure you discuss details of the internship including: duration, days you are available to work, what tasks you will be undertaking, possible start date. Also find out when they will let you know of their decision.
– After the interview thank the interviewer for their time.
– On the day call the internship coordinator from CareerDC that you have been in contact with in order to provide feedback on your interview.
If you have any further questions please contact your internship coordinator at CareerDC before your interview.
By: Arnela Hodzic, Career Consultant