Communication is about being known, informing employees, adding value to a product or a brand, creating customer loyalty, attracting new customers etc. We usually talk about internal and external communication. Both are really important.
- Internal communication is about transferring information to the employees, improving the social climate inside the organisation and creating the feeling of belonging within company.
- External communication is publicizing information on a product, a brand, but also communicating with partners, suppliers, investors etc.
Communication mediums can be through media such as television, radio, internet social media, and newspaper/magazines etc., internal communication systems such as intranet and email as well as events or seminars. The message is adaptable depending on the audience target.
If you choose to do an internship in communications you might work in a communication agency or a firm.
What you might do in external communication:
- Keeping the website up to date
- Communicate on Social Media
- Organising events
- Creating a communication plan
- Writing articles for communication mediums
- Following up with events organisation and communications budget
What you might do in internal communication:
- Writing articles for the internal newspaper
- Realising corporate identity and style guide of the company
- Organising internal events
- Organising internal communication campaigns
- Using the company’s communication tools